Sierra Simone Wright Scholarship
This scholarship provides a graduating senior of Booker T. Washington High School financial assistance to attend a four-year college or university.
History of the Fund
This memorial scholarship fund commemorates the life of Sierra Simone Wright, infant daughter of the late University of Memphis and Memphis Grizzlies player Lorenzen Wright and his wife Sherra. Sierra Simone passed away on March 1, 2003, just weeks short of her first birthday. The Memphis Grizzlies and the Wright family celebrate her life by establishing this scholarship to keep her memory alive, and to provide a deserving senior at Booker T. Washington High School, Lorenzen’s alma mater, the opportunity to pursue a college education.
All applicants must:
- be graduating seniors from Booker T. Washington High School;
- be accepted by and plan to attend an accredited four-year college or university;
- have a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale;
- demonstrate financial need; and
- submit the Community Foundation of Greater Memphis scholarship application form and the required attachments.
A complete application includes:
- completed Community Foundation of Greater Memphis scholarship application form;
- one-page personal statement outlining education or career goals;
- two current letters of recommendation from teachers, clergy, or persons other than family members who are familiar with your skills and abilities;
- most recent high school transcript;
- copy of your ACT and/or SAT scores; and a
- copy of your Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report (SAR) and Expected Family Contribution (EFC) information, OR your College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile.
This scholarship may be awarded to multiple students each year. The total amount available to award is approximately $3,750.
Applications for this scholarship are due April 2, 2018.