Ruth H. Mims Scholarship
This scholarship honors the memory of Ruth Holmes Mims, and seeks to make it possible for deserving students have a chance to attend college.
History of the Fund
Ruth Holmes Mims taught school for 45 years before her retirement. She taught for two years at a school in Shelby County, and the other 43 at LaRose Elementary School in Memphis. Mrs. Mims attended LeMoyne College, now known as LeMoyne-Owen College, in part, because of a $100 scholarship helped pay for her first semester. That scholarship made it possible for her to start her teaching career and taught her the importance of scholarships.
Once a teacher, always a teacher: Mrs. Mims legacy is ensuring that students always have the best. Recipients will be able to apply for renewal of this scholarship for up to four years.
All applicants must:
- be a graduating senior from a Shelby County high school;
- be accepted by and plan to attend LeMoyne-Owen College or the University of Memphis, and major in education (preference will be given to early childhood education majors and students that attend LeMoyne-Owen College);
- have a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale;
- submit the Community Foundation of Greater Memphis scholarship application and required attachments.
A complete application includes:
- completed Community Foundation of Greater Memphis scholarship application form;
- one-page essay describing why you are applying for a scholarship and describing your career goals in the field of education;
- two current letters of recommendations from teachers, counselors, clergy, or persons other than family members who are familiar with your skills and abilities;
- most recent high school transcript;
- copy of ACT and/or SAT scores; and a
- copy of your Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report (SAR) and Expected Family Contribution (EFC) information.
This scholarship may be awarded to more than one student. Each scholarship award will be approximately $1,200.
Applications for this scholarship are due April 2, 2018.