Ruby Holmes Hefley Scholarship
This scholarship provides for the children of parents with disabilities. The applicant’s study may be in any academic area.
History of the Fund
As a government secretary, Ruby Holmes Hefley never earned a large salary, and she lived frugally. She invested wisely and shared her financial resources with relatives and people in need. When she died in 2004, at the age of 88, her will included several charitable bequests, including the gift used to establish this scholarship. Scholarship recipients are eligible to reapply if they maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale as documented through transcripts.
All applicants must:
- have a parent or legal guardian who is receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI);
- live in the Memphis metropolitan area;
- be graduating high school seniors, high school graduates up to 21 years of age, or current college students;
- be accepted by and plan to attend an accredited vocational or technical school, two-year, or four-year college or university;
- have a minimum 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale; and
- submit the Community Foundation of Greater Memphis scholarship application form and the required attachments.
Renewal applicants must contact Vanessa Langston at (901) 722-0032 or vlangston [at] cfgm [dot] org for a renewal application.
A complete application includes:
- completed Community Foundation of Greater Memphis scholarship application form;
- documentation that a parent or legal guardian is receiving SSDI or SSI via Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), tax return, or other form of legal documentation;
- 500-word essay describing a situation or experience that has helped shape the your life;
- two current letters of recommendation from teachers, clergy, or persons other than family members who are familiar with your skills and abilities;
- most recent high school or college transcript;
- copy of your ACT and/or SAT scores; and a
- copy of your Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report (SAR) and Expected Family Contribution (EFC) information.
This scholarship may be awarded to more than one student. Each scholarship award will be approximately $1,000.
Applications for this scholarship are due April 3, 2017.