Mykea Rainey Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship honors Mykea Andrea Rainey and is awarded to public school students to help achieve the dream of completing a post-secondary education.
History of the Fund
This fund was established in memory of Mykea Andrea Rainey by her godparents, the late State Rep. Lois DeBerry and her husband, Charles Traughber. Mykea was a graduate of Hamilton High School and a member of the Youth Choir at Abyssinian Missionary Baptist Church.
All applicants must:
- be graduating seniors of Shelby County Schools high schools, not including charter schools;
- be involved in the community through volunteer activities with a nonprofit or other community group;
- be accepted by and plan to attend an accredited vocational or technical school, two-year, or four-year college or university;
- have a minimum 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale;
- demonstrate financial need; and
- submit the Community Foundation of Greater Memphis scholarship application form and required attachments.
A complete application includes:
- completed Community Foundation of Greater Memphis scholarship application form;
- one-page personal statement outlining education or career goals;
- two current letters of recommendation, including one from a nonprofit or community group where the student has a history of volunteer work;
- most recent high school transcript;
- copy of your ACT and/or SAT scores; and a
- copy of your Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report (SAR) and Expected Family Contribution (EFC) information, OR your College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile.
This scholarship may be awarded to up to two students each year. Each scholarship award will be approximately $2,800.
Applications for this scholarship are due April 3, 2017.