Maxine A. Smith Scholarship
This scholarship honors Maxine A. Smith and is awarded to graduating high school seniors who have participated in the ACT-SO (Afro-Academic, Cultural, Technological and Scientific Olympics) program. This is a one-time scholarship opportunity.
History of the Fund
During her 42 years of service as Executive Secretary of the Memphis Branch of the NAACP, Maxine A. Smith never saw a glass half-empty or a mind without promise. Thus, when she announced her retirement in 1995, her local NAACP colleagues took great care to make sure that generations to come would continue to appreciate her contributions to the community.
While she championed many causes, education became her second identity. Maxine set great store by her mother’s insistence that she and her brother and sister receive a formal education. She would later respond by becoming a schoolteacher and serving six terms on the school board.
All scholarship recipients will be expected to attend a reception in their honor in late May or early June.
All applicants must:
- be graduating high school seniors;
- have participated in ACT-SO, preference will be given to NAACP members;
- have a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale; and
- submit the Maxine A. Smith Scholarship Fund application form and required attachments.
A complete application includes:
- completed Maxine A. Smith Scholarship Fund application form
- one-page essay telling about your experiences in ACT-SO. Essay should be double-spaced in 12 pt. type with 1 inch margins;
- one-page essay telling about your life goals. Essay should be double-spaced in 12 pt. type with 1 inch margins;
- two current letters of recommendation from teachers, clergy, or persons other than family members who are familiar with your skills and abilities;
- most recent high school transcript;
- copy of your ACT and/or SAT scores; and a
- copy of your Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report (SAR) and Expected Family Contribution (EFC) information, OR your College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile.
This scholarship may be awarded to more than one student each year. Each scholarship award will be approximately $1,000.
Applications for this scholarship are due April 18, 2017.