Don Poier Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship assists well-rounded, public high school students living in Shelby County, TN who demonstrate strong character and are actively involved in school and the community. The scholarship must be used towards the student’s freshman year of college.
History of the Fund
The Don Poier Memorial Scholarship was created in 2006 in honor of the Memphis Grizzlies’ legendary broadcaster. Don was the “voice” of the Vancouver Grizzlies from 1995-2001, and then the Memphis Grizzlies from 2001 until his untimely death in January 2005. Don brought a passion for the game that was second to none. He was a treasured member of the Grizzlies, beloved by family, friends, athletes, and fans throughout his career, spanning two countries, three decades, dozens of teams, thousands of games, and countless sporting events. Don is remembered for his wit, charm, and warmth, but most of all, for his genuine love of family, friends, and the game of basketball.
The following criteria will be used to evaluate candidates for the Don Poier Memorial Scholarship:
- excellence in academic performance
- community involvement and active citizenship
- personal statement
Please note the application for this scholarship is due February 23, 2017.
All applicants must:
- be graduating, high school seniors from a public high school located in Shelby County, TN
- have a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale, as well as a minimum 17 ACT score;
- be accepted by and plan to attend an accredited vocational or technical school, two-year, or four-year college or university; and
- submit the Don Poier Memorial Scholarship application form and required attachments.
A complete application includes:
- completed Don Poier Memorial Scholarship application form;
- personal statement which highlights the student’s character, detailing important academic and community contributions and leadership roles (500 words or less);
- two current letters of recommendation from teachers, coaches, clergy, or persons other than family members who are familiar with your skills and abilities;
- most recent high school transcript;
- copy of your ACT and/or SAT scores; and a
- copy of your Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report (SAR) and Expected Family Contribution (EFC) information, OR your College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile.
This scholarship is awarded to one student each year. The scholarship award amount will be $3,000.
Scholarship recipients are also entitled to:
- recognition as scholarship winner at spring Memphis Grizzlies home game in April 2017;
- tour of Don Poier Media Suite and FedExForum with Poier family upon announcing the scholarship award.
Applications for this scholarship are due by 4:00 p.m. on February 23, 2017.