The Nonprofit Capacity Building grant program is no longer accepting applications for 2018. The application process will begin again in June 2019. If you are interested in applying in the future, please review the information below to learn more about grant criteria and eligibility. If you have any questions, please contact Elizabeth Warren, Director of Grants & Intiatives, at ewarren [at] cfgm [dot] org or (901) 722-0022.
How to apply for Nonprofit Capacity Building grants
Please determine if your organization is eligible for a capacity building grant by reviewing this criteria and timeline. Overall, an eligible applicant organization is able to demonstrate that it:
- Has a published, reviewed profile on WHEREtoGIVEmidsouth.org,
- Has operated as a 501(c)(3) agency for the last three consecutive years or longer,
- Operates in our service area: west Tennessee, northern Mississippi, and eastern Arkansas,
- Provide significant impact in and has solid relationships with the communities it serves,
- Has at least one paid staff member and stable, demonstrated board and staff leadership;
- Operates under sound financial management and is financially stable;
- Has the last three years of 990’s and audits, if required;
- Has a current strategic plan that is consistent with the vision of the organization with evidence that staff, board, and other stakeholders (if applicable) were involved in the process. The strategic plan, as opposed to a business plan, should have a multi-year focus addressing the whole organization and not simply one program or project.
See the grant timeline below for important steps to applying.
2018 grant timeline
- June: Attend a MANDATORY pre-application information session held at the Community Foundation of Greater Memphis, 1900 Union Avenue. Register here
- June 15: Letter of intent application opens online via the grants portal. Register as a Grant Administrator for your organization to begin the application process.
- July 11: Deadline for eligible applicants to submit a WHEREtoGIVEmidsouth.org profile for review, including profile updates.
- July 25: Deadline for applicants to submit a letter of intent via the grants portal by 4:00 p.m. All eligible applicants must also have a published, reviewed WHEREtoGIVEmidsouth.org profile by this date.
- August 31: All applicants will be notified via e-mail whether or not they have been invited by the grant committee to submit a full application.
- September 28: Full applications due via the grants portal by 4:00 p.m.
- October - November: Grant review committee members will conduct site visits or interviews of second round applicants.
- Mid-December: Grant review committee will make final grant recommendations to the Board for approval. All second round applicants will be notified of their award status.