How to apply for Nonprofit Capacity Building grants
Please determine if your organization is eligible for a capacity building grant by reviewing this criteria and timeline. Overall, eligible applicant organizations are able to demonstrate that they:
- Have a completed and published profile on WHEREtoGIVEmidsouth.org,
- Have operated as a 501(c)(3) agency for the last three consecutive years or longer,
- Have programs in our service area: west Tennessee, northern Mississippi, and eastern Arkansas,
- Provide significant impact in and have solid relationships with the communities they serve,
- Have stable, demonstrated board and staff leadership,
- Operate under sound financial management and are financially stable, and
- Have a recent strategic plan that is consistent with the current vision of the organization.
See the grant timeline below for important steps to applying.
2017 grant timeline
- June 13 - 28: Attend one of five MANDATORY pre-application information sessions held at the Community Foundation of Greater Memphis, 1900 Union Avenue. Register here.
- June 15: Letter of Intent application open online via the NEW! Grants portal. Click on the link and register as a Grant Administrator for your organization to begin the application process.
- June 29: Attend a How to Build a Profile session (optional) if your organization does not yet have a WHEREtoGIVEmidsouth.org profile. Register here. If your organization already has a profile, please review and update it.
- July 25: Letter of Intent applications must be submitted via the Grants portal by 4:00 p.m. All applicants must also have a published WHEREtoGIVEmidsouth.org profile by this deadline.
- August 31: All applicants will be notified via e-mail whether or not their Letter of Intent has been approved by the grant committee. If approved, they are invited to participate in the second round of the grant process by completing a Full Application.
- September 28: Full Applications must be submitted via the Grants portal by second round applicants by 4:00 p.m.
- October - November: Grant review committee members will conduct site visits or interviews of second round applicants.
- Mid-December: Grant review committee will make final grant recommendations to the Board for approval. All second round applicants will be notified of their award status.