GiVE 365 awards $40,000 in grant funding
GiVE 365, The Community Foundation of Greater Memphis’ dollar-a-day philanthropy program, announced grants totaling $40,000 to seven nonprofit organizations on May 12. This year’s grant cycle is themed “And now for something completely different: Small grants to support new projects or programs that add value to the community and have a likelihood of success.” The grantees are:
- A Step Ahead Foundation - F2 Planning Project - Family & Finance
- $5,907 to give women information about how to reach their potential by learning how to plan their babies and how to plan their finances.
- The Dorothy Day House of Hospitality – Shaping the Next Generation
- $7,500 to help students in grades 3-12 talk about poverty and homelessness in Memphis and learn ways they can help alleviate both problems.
- Knowledge Quest – Green Leaf Learning Farm Packhouse
- $10,000 to repurpose a vacant home and transform it into a multi-use farm and community asset. It will provide produce-storage space and an open classroom for community gatherings, and will also serve as a demonstration area for preparing healthy food using fresh produce grown at Green Leaf.
- Memphis Library Foundation - Takin' it to the Streets: Teen Mobile Info Hub
- $3,976.50 for the Teen Mobile Info Hub (TMIH), a mobile extension of Cloud901, a digital media-based teen learning lab at the main library. TMIH will feature a custom display unit that can "pop-up" in different Memphis Public Library and Information Center branches.
- Mid-South Spay & Neuter Services – Chemical Neutering with Zeuterin
- $3,976.50 to provide Zeuterin to low-income pet owners. Zeuterin is a non-surgical sterilization injection that keeps a dog's "manhood" in place, but stops him from reproducing.
- St. Columba Episcopal Conference & Retreat Center – Camp Able
- $5,000 to support Camp Able for campers with physical and mental challenges from the Mid-South. The camp experience will help them discover all that they are "able" to do in a fun, adventurous, outdoor setting.
- STAY – Friendship Center
- $3,640 to provide formerly homeless clients who were frequent users of emergency room and other services with social and personal enrichment activities during the week. Clients learn socialization and community integration skills – a critical service gap needed to remain in and maintain their homes.
“Receiving this grant demonstrates that GiVE 365 members support urban farming in Memphis and that members advocate for food justice,” says Josephine Tempesta, Green Leaf Learning Farm manager. “This gift is supporting the transformation of an abandoned ‘shotgun-style’ house into a community space focused on nutrition and fresh, organic produce from Green Leaf Farm. GiVE 365’s endorsement of the project recognizes the value of uplifting, honoring, and investing in South Memphis and in building community.”
GiVE 365 members contribute at least $365 a year – a dollar a day. Their contributions are pooled, and they annually decide collectively how to distribute money to nonprofit organizations. GiVE 365 has 260+ members and has awarded $325,905 over the past five years to Memphis and Shelby County nonprofits.
For more information, visit give365memphis.org.