The Community Foundation of Greater Memphis is a place where generous people from diverse backgrounds come together to make our community a better place.
Collectively, they have created the largest grant maker - public or private - in the Memphis area. Together, we fulfill our mission of strengthening our community through philanthropy.
- Founded 1969
- Total historical gifts received from our donors: $1.3 billion
- Total historical grants made to nonprofit organizations: $1.1 billion
- As of FY 2015, 42nd largest community foundation in the nation by asset size
- Value of endowment: $9.5 million
- Assets under management: $430 million
Over the past five years, the Community Foundation - together with our donors - made more than 33,000 grants totaling $604.8 million to 3,450 distinct organizations. Click here for an interactive map showing the location and recipient of our grants.
FY 2017 was quite a year, with a new record for grants to the community from the Foundation.
- Gifts received from our donors: $102.5 million
- Grants made to nonprofit organizations: $161.6 million. The vast majority of grants are advised - or directed - by the individuals, families, and organizations who established funds with us.
Click on the table at right for detail on in the historical increase of grants from the Foundation.
FY 2017 grant allocations included:
- 7,039 grants to 1,886 distinct nonprofit organizations.
Click on the table at right for the breakdown of giving areas in FY 2017.
- Of those, Community Partnership Fund grants totaled $819,847 to 30 nonprofits. See grants.
- GiVE 365 grants totaling $60,000 to 10 nonprofits. See grants.
- More than 80 percent of grants went to local organizations.
By the numbers:
31 new donor-advised funds opened in 2017, totaling $4.7 million
11 nonprofit funds, totaling $2.1 million
1 new scholarship fund, with a balance of $25,000
- 12.8 percent increase in grants over FY 2016 (to $161.6 million)