The Community Foundation of Greater Memphis is a place where generous people from diverse backgrounds come together to make our community a better place.
Collectively, they have created the largest grant maker - public or private - in the Memphis area. Together, we fulfill our mission of strengthening our community through philanthropy.
- Founded 1969
- Total historical gifts received from our donors: $1.2 billion
- Total historical grants made to nonprofit organizations: $968 million
- As of FY 2014, 46th largest community foundation in the nation by asset size
- Value of endowment: $9.4 million
- Assets under management: $451.2 million
Over the past five years, the Community Foundation - together with our donors - made more than 30,000 grants totaling $446.7 million to 3,386 distinct organizations. Click here for an interactive map showing the location and recipient of our grants.
FY 2016 was quite a year, with new records for both gifts to the Foundation and grants to the community.
- Gifts received from our donors: $195.2 million
- Grants made to nonprofit organizations: $143.4 million. The vast majority of grants are advised - or directed - by the individuals, families, and organizations who established funds with us.
FY 2016 grant allocations included:
- 6,433 grants to 1,848 distinct nonprofit organizations.
Click on the table at right for the breakdown of giving areas in FY 2016.
- Of those, Community Partnership Fund grants totaled $509,141 to 27 nonprofits. See grants.
- GiVE 365 grants totaling $40,000 to seven nonprofits. See grants.
- 84 percent of grants went to local organizations.
By the numbers:
46 new funds opened in 2016 totaling $6,9 million. This represents:
31 donor-advised funds
1 field of interest fund
8 nonprofit funds
1 scholarship fund
5 special project funds
- 25.6 percent increase in grants over FY 2015 (to $143.4 million)