The Community Foundation of Greater Memphis is a place where generous people from diverse backgrounds come together to make our community a better place.
Collectively, they have created the largest grantmaker - public or private - in the Memphis area. Together, we fulfill our mission of strengthening our community through philanthropy.
- Founded 1969
- Total historical gifts received from our donors: $1.5 billion
- Total historical grants made to nonprofit organizations: $1.3 billion
- As of FY 2017, 49th largest community foundation in the nation by asset size
- Value of endowment: $10.1 million
- Assets under management: $469.5 million
Over the past five years, the Community Foundation - together with our donors - made more than 33,300 grants totaling $691.1 million to 3,542 distinct organizations. Click here for an interactive map showing the location and recipient of our grants.
FY 2018 was quite a year, with a new record for grants to the community from the Foundation.
- Gifts received from our donors: $210.2 million
- Grants made to nonprofit organizations: $178.5 million. The vast majority of grants are advised - or directed - by the individuals, families, and organizations who established funds with us.
Click on the table at right for detail on in the historical increase of grants from the Foundation.
FY 2018 grant allocations included:
- 7,026 grants to 1,882 distinct nonprofit organizations.
Click on the table at right for the breakdown of giving areas in FY 2018.
- Of those, the Community Partnership Fund distributed $974,484 to area nonprofits through 37 grants. See grants.
- GiVE 365 grants totaling $57,000 to eight nonprofits. See grants.
- More than 76 percent of grants went to local organizations.
By the numbers:
- 72 new funds with aggregate balances of $29.3 million
- 10.7 percent increase in grants over FY 2017 (to $176.5 million)