Better Jobs – Higher Wages - Unfunded Finalist
The mission of Advance Memphis is to empower adults in South Memphis to break cycles of unemployment, establish economic stability, reconcile relationships, and restore dignity through knowledge, resources, and skills by the power of Jesus Christ. The organization focuses on adults with chronic unemployment, a population that remains unemployed due to known factors such as lack of experience, education, child-care, and transportation. However, Advance Memphis believes that the traumatic effects of growing up and living in poverty also hinders a person from consistent work, the dignity associated with financial stability, and contributing to his/her community. The organization wants to build on its current efforts to develop a sustainable model to more directly address adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and provide trauma care for its participants to move more of its program graduates successfully into the workforce.
The Trauma Care to Increase Employment Project for which the organization is requesting funding includes:
- Staff development and training through the Trauma Stewardship Institute and the Trauma Healing Institute;
- Developing a closer relationship with the ACE Awareness Foundation;
- Adding a second professional on staff with expertise in trauma-informed care for substance abuse to integrate trauma care and substance abuse counseling;
- Referral relationships with a psychologist to conduct assessments and a psychiatrist who can prescribe and manage medications;
- Making trauma care available to all program participants;
- And tracking the impact of this effort on the percentage of Work Life graduates going to work and the time graduates stay employed.
The results of this program will be that Advance Memphis participants become equipped to develop talents and skills leading to better jobs and higher wages through consistent work.
If you have a fund at the Community Foundation and would like to donate to support this project, click the button below and designate MLK50: The Next Step Forward in the "Grant Purpose" field.
You can make an online donation with a credit card or through your donor-advised fund at Advance Memphis's LIVEGIVEmidsouth.org profile. Click "Donate Now" and designate MLK50: The Next Step Forward in the "Special Instructions" field.
To learn more about the MLK50: The Next Step Forward grant round and see other grantees and finalists, click here.